I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK.
They know me here...

Translate

Saturday, August 6, 2011

TOPIC: Writing Terms (part 1)

Ever attended a writers’ conference and been bamboozled by a host of acronyms or writing terms you’ve heard of but never quite understood? Here’s a few you might hear bandied about…

GMC – goal, motivation, conflict, used in reference to the characters in the story. Often referred to as what the character wants, why the character wants it and what’s stopping them attaining it.
HEA – happily ever after
HFN – happy for now
HMB – Harlequin Mills & Boon
ms. or mss. – manuscript or manuscripts
UF – urban fantasy genre
PR – paranormal romance genre
SFR – science fiction romance genre
rom.sus. – romantic suspense genre
FR – fantasy romance genre
EF – epic fantasy genre
DUF – dark urban fantasy genre
ST – single title (approx.80 000 words or more)
QL – query letter
FK – first kiss
POD – print on demand
POV – point of view
WIP – work in progress

Have I missed any? Feel free to add them in as a comment! :-)

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the list Kylie, you're a wealth of information!!

    Cheers,
    Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Kylie,

    lots of terms there. And for the life of me, I can't think of anymore (what about LOL!!!) *snigger*

    ReplyDelete
  3. URST:)
    Unresolved sexual tension! Only heard that one myself last week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohh, thanks for this Helene!

    Mel, Mel, Mel...(shakes head).

    Glad to be of assistance, Margaret! :-)

    ReplyDelete